Revised Draft Environmental Impact Report/Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement: Fresno to Bakersfield
The California High-Speed Rail Authority (Authority) and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) prepared the Revised Draft Environmental Impact Report/Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement (Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS) for the Fresno to Bakersfield section of the High Speed Train (HST) project. The Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS is being made available to the public and public agencies pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) prior to Authority and FRA decisions at the conclusion of this project level environmental review. The Authority is the project’s lead agency under CEQA. The FRA is the project’s lead agency under NEPA.
The Draft EIR/EIS for the Fresno to Bakersfield section was released for public review in August 2011. In response to stakeholder, agency, and public feedback on the HST alignment alternatives, the Authority and FRA decided in fall 2011 that it would revise the Draft EIR/EIS to include additional route and station options. The Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS includes new alignment alternatives and station locations west of Hanford, an additional alternative through Bakersfield, and refinements to the existing Fresno to Bakersfield alternative alignments.
Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS: Fresno to Bakersfield
The following documents are available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, which require Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have a copy of this free software, you can download it from Adobe at http://get.adobe.com/reader. If you already have a copy of this software, simply click on the links and it will open up automatically. Note: many of these files are very large and could take up to several minutes to download.
In addition to posting the electronic version of the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS on this website, printed copies are provided at libraries and community centers in Fresno, Kings, Tulare and Kern Counties. A complete listing is available in the brochure under Educational Materials and also at the end of this page. You may also request a CD-ROM of the Fresno to Bakersfield Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS by calling (916) 679-2341.
In the preliminary Section 4(f)/6(f) evaluation, a potential resource was inadvertently reported to be within the “footprint” of disturbance for the BNSF Alternative through Bakersfield. In fact, this resource is located approximately 400 feet south of the BNSF Alternative, within the footprint of disturbance of the Bakersfield South Alternative. Because of the importance of the Section 4(f) determination, the preliminary 4(f)/6(f) evaluation contained in Chapter 4.0 of the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS has been corrected to indicate that the affected potential resource in Bakersfield would be impacted by the Bakersfield South Alternative. The copies of the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS available at public locations in the project area are being updated to include the corrected Chapter 4.0. The corrected version of Chapter 4.0 is also available for download from the Authority’s website.
The Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS for the Fresno to Bakersfield section includes the following:
- Volume I - Report
- Volume II - Technical Appendices
- Volume III - Alignment Plans
The purpose of environmental documents is to disclose information to decision makers and the public. While the science and analysis that supports this Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS is complex, this document is intended for the general public. Every attempt has been made to limit technical terms and the use of acronyms. Where this cannot be avoided, the terms and acronyms are defined the first time they are used, and a list of acronyms and abbreviations is provided in Chapter 13 of this document.
The Executive Summary provides an overview of all of the substantive chapters and includes a table listing the potential environmental impacts for each environmental resource topic and directs the reader where to get details elsewhere in the document. A brief explanation of each chapter is also provided (see left) in the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS.
- High-Speed Rail Authority Extends Public Comment Period for Revised Environmental Report for Fresno to Bakersfield Project Section08/22/2012
- High-Speed Rail Authority Releases Revised Environmental Report for Fresno to Bakersfield Project Section07/16/2012
- Executive Summary for the Revised Draft EIRSupplemental Draft EIS
- Fresno to Bakersfield Section Fact Sheet
- Brochure about the Fresno to Bakersfield Revised Draft EIRSupplemental Draft EIS
- Folleto sobre el Proyecto Revisado EIR/Proyecto Suplementario EIS para la sección de Fresno a Bakersfield (Brochure En Español)
- Resumen Ejecutivo del Proyecto Revisado EIR/Proyecto Suplementario EIS para la sección de Fresno a Bakersfield (Executive Summary En Español)
- Cover Volume I
- Title Page Volume I
- Signature Page
- Fact Sheet
- Table of Contents Volume I
- Project Purpose, Need, and Objectives
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Transportation
- 3.3 Air Quality and Global Climate Change
- 3.4 Noise and Vibration
- 3.5 Electromagnetic Fields and Electromagnetic Interference
- 3.6 Public Utilities and Energy
- 3.7 Biological Resources and Wetlands
- 3.8 Hydrology and Water Resources
- 3.9 Geology, Soils, and Seismicity
- 3.10 Hazardous Materials and Wastes
- 3.11 Safety and Security
- 3.12 Socioeconomics, Communities, and Environmental Justice
- 3.13 Station Planning, Land Use, and Development
- 3.14 Agricultural Lands
- 3.15 Parks, Recreation, and Open Space
- 3.16 Aesthetics and Visual Resources
- 3.17 Cultural and Paleontological Resources
- 3.18 Regional Growth
- 3.19 Cumulative Impacts
- 4.0 Draft Section 4(f)-6(f) Evaluations
- 5.0 Project Costs and Operations
- 6.0 Other CEQA-NEPA Considerations
- 7.0 Public and Agency Involvement
- 8.0 EIR-EIS Distribution
- 9.0 List of Preparers
- 10.0 References and Sources Used in Document Preparation
- 11.0 Glossary of Terms
- 12.0 Index
- 13.0 Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Cover Volume II
- Title Page Volume II
- Table of Contents Volume II
- 1-A Revised 2012 Business Plan
- 2-A Road Crossings
- 2-B Railroad Crossings
- 2-C Operations and Service Plan Summary
- 2-D Applicable Design Standards
- 3.1-A Parcels within HST Footprint
- 3.4-A Noise and Vibration
- 3.5-A Technical Study: Pre-Construction Electromagnetic Measurement Survey
- 3.6-A Existing Plus Project Conditions Energy Analysis
- 3.6-B Water Usage Analysis Technical Memorandum
- 3.6-C Energy Analysis Memorandum
- 3.7-A Special-Status Species and Observed Habitats
- 3.7-B Comparison of Impacts on Biological Resources By Alternative
- 3.8-A Water Bodies Crossed by Fresno to Bakersfield Section Alternatives
- 3.11-A Safety and Security Data
- 3.11-B Airport Obstructions
- 3.12-A Residential, Business, and Mobile Home Relocation Assistance Brochures
- 3.12-B Effects On School District Funding and Transportation Bus Routes
- 3.12-C Children's Health and Safety Risk Assessment
- 3.13-A Land Use Plans, Goals, and Policies
- 3.14-A Results and Findings of Land Evaluation and Site Assessment
- 3.14-B Effects on Confined Animal Agriculture
- 3.14-C High Speed Train Noise Disturbance on Grazing Lands
- 3.17-A Programmatic Agreement
- 3.19-A Planned and Potential Projects and Plans
- 3.19-B Planned and Potential Transportation Projects
- 5-A Operating Cost Memorandum
- Aesthetics and Visual Resources Technical Report
- Air Quality Technical Report
- Air Quality Technical Report Appendices A-G~1
- Biological Assessment (REDACTED)
- Biological Resources and Wetlands Technical Report (REDACTED)
- Community Impact Assessment
- Community Impact Assessment Appendices A - D
- Draft Relocation Impact Technical Report
- Geology, Soils, and Seismicity Technical Report
- Hazardous Wastes and Materials Technical Report
- Hazardous Wastes and Materials Technical Report Appendices A - B
- Hazardous Wastes and Materials Technical Report Appendix C 1 of 2
- Hazardous Wastes and Materials Technical Report Appendix C 2 of 2
- Hazardous Wastes and Materials Technical Report Appendix D 1 of 2
- Hazardous Wastes and Materials Technical Report Appendix D 2 of 2
- Hydrology and Water Resources Technical Report
- Noise and Vibration Technical Report
- Ridership and Revenue Model
- Transportation Technical Report
- Transportation Technical Report Appendix A
- Transportation Technical Report Appendices B - C
- Transportation Technical Report Appendix D
- Transportation Technical Report Appendix E
- Transportation Technical Report Appendix F
- Transportation Technical Report Appendices G - I
- Transportation Technical Report Figures Part 1 of 2
- Transportation Technical Report Figures Part 2 of 2
- Wetlands Delineation Report (REDACTED)
- Checkpoint A is available with the Fresno to Bakersfield Draft EIR/EIS.
- Checkpoint B is available with the Fresno to Bakersfield Draft EIR/EIS.
Volume I – Report
Chapter 1.0, Project Purpose, Need, and Objectives explains why the project is proposed and provides a history of the planning process.
Chapter 2.0, Alternatives describes the proposed Fresno to Bakersfield section alternatives and design options, HST station options, and heavy maintenance facility options, as well as the No Project Alternative used for purposes of comparison. It contains illustrations and maps and provides a review of construction activities. These first two chapters help the reader understand what is being analyzed in the remainder of the document.
Chapter 3.0, Affected Environment, Environmental Consequences, and Mitigation Measures is where the reader can find information about the existing transportation, environmental, and social conditions in the area of the proposed project, and the potential for the proposed HSR project alternatives to adversely impact those conditions, along with methods to reduce these impacts (called mitigation measures).
Chapter 4.0, Section 4(f)/Section 6(f) Evaluation summarizes parks, and historic properties in accordance with Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation Act of 1966 and Section 6(f) of the Land and Water Conservation Funds Act. It describes avoidance alternatives and measures to minimize harm to these resources.
Chapter 5.0, Project Costs and Operations summarizes the estimated capital and operations and maintenance costs for each Fresno to Bakersfield section alternative evaluated in the Project EIR/EIS, including funding and financial risk.
Chapter 6.0, Other CEQA/NEPA Considerations summarizes the project’s significant adverse environmental effects, including those that cannot be avoided if the project is implemented. It also summarizes the significant irreversible environmental changes that would occur as a result of the project or irretrievable commitments of resources or foreclosure of future options.
Chapter 7.0, Public and Agency Involvement contains summaries of coordination and outreach activities, with agencies and the general public.
Chapter 8.0, EIR/EIS Distribution identifies individuals and organizations informed of the availability of the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS.
Chapter 9.0, List of Preparers provides the names and responsibilities of the authors of the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS.
Chapter 10.0, References/Sources Used in Document Preparation cites the references and contacts used in writing this document.
Chapter 11.0, Glossary of Terms provides a definition of certain terms used in the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS.
Chapter 12.0, Index provides a tool to cross-reference major topics used in the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS.
Chapter 13.0, Acronyms and Abbreviations defines the acronyms and abbreviations used in this document.
Volume II – Technical Appendices
These appendices provide additional technical information that supports the analysis and conclusions in Volume I of the Revised Draft EIR/Supplemental Draft EIS.
Volume III – Alignment Plans
These are the engineering plans that detail the routes of the alternatives. Volume III also includes the station plans.
- Environmental Mitigation and Commitments
- Statewide Program EIR/EIS
- Bay Area to Central Valley Partially Revised Final Program EIR
- Final EIR/EIS: Merced to Fresno
- Draft EIR/EIS: Merced to Fresno
- Final EIR/EIS: Fresno to Bakersfield
- Revised Draft EIR/EIS: Fresno to Bakersfield
- Draft EIR/EIS: Fresno to Bakersfield
- Project Level Environmental and Engineering Guidelines, Studies & Reports